Queen Elizabeth High School, Edmonton


Project Summary

Hi there! We’re Queen Elizabeth Exobotics, and we’re working on a humanoid exoskeleton that can be made with 3D printing technology, and other fairly inexpensive and readily available supplies. Our goal is to create a working prototype of a balancing, walking, comfortable and controllable piece of assistive hardware that is easy to put on, wear, and use.

We are starting our project with redesigning last year’s exoskeleton, and building using the learnings from last year. Our first step is to rebuild the exo into something that is easy to put on and take off, and from there we will start working on active balancing. After balancing we will work on creating a controlled set of movements, and after that will be user controlled, adaptive motion.

Our process so far has been to have team talk where we list questions and needs for the project, and develop working problems out of these. We then break into smaller teams to tackle these problems, and bring possible solutions back to the group. We are working with some excellent mentors, and are very much looking forward to all the problems we get to work on solving!

Project Update

Last Updated: July 2019.

Buckle up buckaroos!
We are team Love-A-Lot bear from Edmonton and we are
representing Queen Elizabeth Highschool. Our project is focused on
creating an exo-skeleton that we can attach to human bodies to help
rehabilitate individuals who need assistance in walking or give the ability to
walk to those who lost it. The exo-skeleton would support the user and
speed up the recovery process of those who have received trauma
affecting their ability to walk by preventing muscle atrophy. Our project
takes the fundamental elements of a exo-skeleton, and uses modern
technology like arduino, 3D printing, and smart motors.
The first step to our ambitious creation was to plan and draw designs
for the blueprints of the exo-skeleton. Upon creation of the blueprint we
used a 3D printer to engineer the material required for the exo-skeleton.
We printed plastic popsicle sticks to form the ‘skeleton’ of our model. A
stuffed monkey was used as a substitute for a human in the model. It’s lack
of bones allows us to safely test and implement fail safes in our exo-
skeleton. After multiple iterations we determined the right length of
popsicle, diameter of the screw hole, and how many popsicles we would
need to keep it stable.
We’ve had some complications breadboarding and making the
motors work. At first we couldn’t move the motors because they required
Arduino Id addressing. Then we had to switch from a 12V battery to the
one in a computer so we had enough power to move the motors. Once we
figured that out we programmed the motors to walk like a normal person. A
motor was placed on the hip and knee joints and broke the monkey’s
leg;we fixed that. Now we are polishing the program and focused on
making him walk without the training wheels.
Skip to toolbar